Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Welcome to my blog!

This is a huge leap to someone like me who barely knows how to turn on a computer. Thanks to Brien for helping me set it up! I'll try to post to this blog a little more often than what I've been emailing my family and friends, and you all know that can be quite sporadic. Hopefully I'll do a better job of keeping folks up to date on the adventures of Heidi, although at the moment, it's not too terribly exciting.

So, here I am at the bottom of the world, again, almost at the end of another winter season. This is my third winter working at the South Pole as a Physician Assistant/Operations Administrative Something/Polemart Manager/Recreation Coordinator/Dishwasher/Trash Hauler/Etc.

Here's a photo of my current home, the Elevated Station, which is nearly finished. This photo was taken in March just after the sun set. The big metal thing on the end that looks like a beer can is the Beer Can, or Vertical Tower (like when is a tower not vertical) or the stairs going from the power plant arch up to the new station. The near end of the station has some of the paneling on the outside that was put on last summer but they weren't able to finish the job and will presumably work on it again this summer.

The sun is back after being gone for 6 months and everyone is gearing up for the arrival of our first plane since February, which will bring the first new and old, familiar faces that we've seen since. It also means that some of us will get to leave after being here for a year or 9 months and see vegetation, dogs, traffic and fresh sushi again. I can't wait...

2 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Amy Guth said...

Cool blog, Heidi!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Kirk & Jodi Roberts said...

Great blog, I look forward to following it during your travels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home