Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Just kidding!

Ha ha. We're still here.

Turns out that the Basler also has temperature limits and can't fly colder than -55C. We stayed at -58C all morning. The bright side is that they delayed the offdeck only a couple of times before finally just telling us, "Forget it - it just ain't happening today" and then we were able get on with our lives. I don't mind delays because you just have to accept that it's going to be the norm. What can turn frustrating is having hope dashed time after time, but if you don't really expect to get out of here, you don't have any hope to be crushed. My God, that sounded pathetic.

OK, it's really not that bad. I'm listening to the weather guys Don and Jeff and they're saying, "Look. It's not going to be warm enough for at least another 48 hours. Period." That tells me to not expect to go anywhere for a couple of days. So when we get the daily fixed wing schedule from McMurdo and it lists FOUR LC-130 flights to South Pole for today, I know I'm still eating dinner here in the galley tonight because it's -56.4C (-69.5F) and Don says it's not warming up today.

Another positive side of this: the 14 of us who thought we were leaving yesterday, actually got our rooms cleaned up and packed. And after the flight was cancelled, we pretty much got the day off because there was no way anyone was going to be productive. I slept through 2 movies in the lounge in the afternoon. That's a good day.

2 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! I'm trying to get to McMurdo, too, but on the way into the continent, not out! I hope you get your warming trend soon.

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Shaneo said...

We had our summer influx yesterday,The ship got close and we flew in 15.7 tonnes of gear and 50 odd personal in three helos. In fact one of them actually knows you . Mark Largerman. HEs come in to replace me for next winter.He was ment to be in this winter , but polar med failed him on his BMI. So I guess hes lost weight !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home