Monday, October 29, 2007

South Pole IS Colbert Nation

Last year Michael Rehm gained dubious notoriety when the Comedy Central TV host Stephen Colbert featured him on his show "The Colbert Report". It was an embellished before and after story and a subsequent show in March served up a challenge to Michael to design a Colbert Nation flag and fly it at the South Pole (and get rid of all of those other dumb flags). By the way, Michael's website hasn't been updated since he spilled a Mountain Dew onto his laptop and shorted it out.

As one who excels in cooking and procrastination, Michael finally finished the mission and yesterday, a few of us in the winter crew posed proudly with the Colbert Nation flag at the geographic pole. All photos by Robert Schwarz.

We're heading up the southern-most fundraising campaign for Colbert for President. OK, we're not raising any money but we made signs (I'm holding the hot pink one and Michael is the one behind me).

Using Michael's design drafted up on a napkin, Dainella Nartker sewed together the flag from old red flag markers and the blue is an old flannel sheet. Nate Dyer sketched the Colbert image with a black sharpie marker. Michael will fly it next winter when we take the other flags down for the long night and then the Colbert Nation flag will truly be the sovereign reigning flag at the bottom of the world.

After the photo shoot, some people couldn't resist the giant snow hill.
Meteorologist Johnny G was carving turns on skate skies...obviously he's from Alaska.


Brian H. was working the hill on his board, getting ready for his surfing vacation in Costa Rica.

As I was watching this I was just glad to no longer be on call. I've officially turned over my radio, keys and all duties to my replacements and I'm scheduled to fly out of here today. If all goes well, our first LC-130 of the summer season will land here at 11:30am and take 28 of us out of here to McMurdo. We'll spend the night there and then head on to Christchurch tomorrow. Michael and I will be in New Zealand for a couple of weeks before heading back home to the states. We'll spend Thanksgiving in San Francisco with his family then over to Thailand until January when we'll once again begin the southern migration to spend one last winter down here. I'll keep you posted.

5 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger rocking R rustics said...

Wow What a cool site you have Heidi
Do you think that when you return in January, if you are still blogging, could you post the temperature each day?

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics Heidi! Bon voyage to you and Michael and keep in touch!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Neal said...

That was fun, glad you guys got out yesterday. See-ya soon.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Blur said...

Umm... I have a problem with the "Michael spilled MOUNTAIN DEW on his laptop." Knowing Michael it was much more Scottish and a lot less sweet.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Hunkahunka (is that your real name?): Glad you're liking the blog. Check out Steffen Richter's website: http://www.adventure-antarctica.de/current-south-pole-weather/ for current weather and satellite images. If you rely on me for daily weather, I'll just be saying, "It's cold and dark again".

Tara and Neal - you know how to reach me!

Patrick - My parents read my blog so I don't want to give them the wrong, I mean a bad impression about Michael. In any case, it truly was Mountain Dew...if it had been scotch it would have evaporated and not have left such a sticky mess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home