Sunday, November 04, 2007

Back in the city

Ahhh...civilization again! We've been enjoying sun, warmth, a few rain sprinkles, lots of good sushi and Thai food, the most beautiful lattes in the world, street performers, seagulls screeching for handouts, lots of walking on grass and sidewalks, a huge grocery store with really expensive fruits and veggies but three separate displays of all kinds of cheeses, etc. One of our favorite hangouts so far is the Belgian beer garden, just down the street from our apartment, where they have imported Belgian beers and a wonderful patio overlooking the Avon river. We went there twice yesterday. I've been putting on sunscreen and wearing my hat but still feel a little glow from hours in the sun. Michael is a healthy pink now.
We hosted a little get-together last night at our place and had a room full of Polies. That's Jamie, Gail (Dennis's friend from Perth), Michael, Dennis, Francie, Kris, Jason, Randi (Kris's girlfriend) Jack, Leah and Noah. We were hoping that some friends would make it in to Christhurch yesterday but heard that they were actually still stuck at South Pole and not too happy about that. So we toasted our friends still on the ice and were even more thankful that we were the first and only group to escape Pole so far. If we don't see you guys here, safe travels and we'll see of you in a few months.

6 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger John Carlson said...

Hi Heidi,
Will you be posting about your travels in between deployments? I have enjoyed reading about your life at Pole. John Booth is an old friend from Palmer days and he told me about your site. I am in Chile on my way to the Peninsula right now. Have great travels.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heidi,
Congratulations!
-Ed Chiurco
(SPFGC chamber support - Tucson, AZ)

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Meandering path, wandering mind said...

Heidi,
Glad you're enjoying Chch.. and glad you were able to make it out before the weather went to heck.

So today I got an email asking me if I would be interested in the PA/NP job at the SP for Dec-Feb. Hmmm... Imagine that!! I'm bummed that I have to turn it down, though I did tell them that I would have loved to have worked it months ago... But they still don't have anyone lined up for when Jay has to leave.

Enjoy it all!!
-kr

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Neal said...

We
are
still
stuck.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

John - have a great summer at Palmer and give my best to Will the doc.

Ed - We enjoyed some terrific greens from the SPFGC. I'm proud that my alma mater U of A has a green thumb.

Kathleen - I just knew this would happen!

Neal...I sure hope you guys are out of Mactown by now...

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After 22 years roaming the world in the United States Navy, I finally settled. I have seen much of the world but never Antarctica. I tried like hell to get there but could never work it out. I so appreciate Heidi blog for it gave me a feeling on what I missed. I doubt I will ever get there now, however I am still hoping for a trip to Mars.

Great postings, Heidi. Keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home