Friday, February 16, 2007

Because I can't sleep

Sometimes it's hard to sleep around here but since our satellite window currently goes from 8:35pm to 8:05am, it's not a bad time to be up if you want to access the internet.

There are 3 fascinating points to this photo:

1. I had no idea there was such a thing as oven roasted beef jerky crisps. I hear they're awful.
2. Sealed bags that make it down here end up so bloated from the pressure change at this altitude, they're as dangerous as unexploded ordinance in a war zone.
3. The best by date is Aug 22 2006 yet these are brand new products this season for our little store, Polemart. I only paid a dollar for it.

And this says it all for the summer folks, most of whom have departed now, making today's population 123, less than half of what was when I arrived here:

The lower left sign says, "Lost: My Mind. Description: Not large but well used, somewhat addled after a summer at Pole. Obviously in need of a break. If found, bathe in warm salt water and put it on the next flight off the ice."

Who can sleep when there are so many intriguing things to blog about?

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious sign! Probably amusing and a foreshadowing for first-timers.

Great shots in previous post of the Raised Platform progress. Is there any evidence that the wind-tunnelling is working, or is it still too new for that?

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have some nice pictures, many that look quite familiar. I'm assuming last flight should be fairly soon and you'll be down to your 50 plus for the winter; scary. Give my regards to Brian, Robert, Steffan etc. Better you than me.
"Jesus Moses" Kurt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home