Monday, November 12, 2007

Road trip

Believe it or not, this is a tourist attraction in New Zealand:

The public toilets in Kawakawa in the northern part of the North Island were designed by the German artist Hundertwasser and they are now one of the biggest things going for the little town on the way to the Bay of Islands.

We rented one of the smallest cars in the country but we just needed it to take us up to the scenic coastal area a few hours north of Auckland.

The weather was mostly gorgeous and yesterday we did a coastal hiking trail linking the towns of Paihia and Opua.

What we didn't spend on the rental car, we used to splurge on accomodations.

We rented a beach front apartment in Paihia that was larger than the entire B1 wing at the South Pole. I swear the walk-in closet was bigger than a standard berthing room back at the station.

Cuban cigar: $30. Enjoying it on your beachfront balcony: priceless.

7 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael is looking a wee bit sunburnt. Tell him to slip slop slap in the summer sun.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Radio Raheem! said...

nice photos

check me out

http://radioraheem36.blogspot.com/

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Meandering path, wandering mind said...

Good for you guys! Have a blast... love to see the photo updates when you can!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Blur said...

I laughed so hard when I saw Rehm in a white robe smoking a cigar. I'm speechless...

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you. I turned my Mom on to your blog and last week she passed away peacefully. For the last two years she has followed your adventures reguraly. She was 81 and her only regret was that in her time doing things like you do was not so acceptable and accessible. You alwasy provid exelent comintay and photos. You never know who or how you touch someone. Thanks again. John, Jupiter FL

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

John from Jupiter - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. What an honor that your mother enjoyed my stories and photos and I'm happy that I could give her a little glimpse of life at the pole.

One of the biggest inspirations in my life has been my aunt Ida, now in her 90s. She was the only person in my family to seek out adventure through travels and has led a rich, full life logging in miles around the world and adding stamps to her passport. At a young age, I vowed that I would be just like her and I am truly fortunate that I've figured out a way to combine work and travel and am living out some dreams. I hope others can be inspired by my adventures as well or at least visit some places vicariously through my blog. Perhaps your Mom would have been a good member for the crew at Pole, had she been able to do that at an earlier time...it sounds like she certainly had the right spirit for it.

Thanks for writing.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael looks good in a cigar, don't you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home