Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Made it!

By God the plane landed yesterday! The first one touched down on the snow at 11:00am and unloaded some very relieved summer folks who had been stranded in McMurdo for longer than we had been planeless at Pole.

A group of 18 of us got on the second plane that landed just over an hour later. We had a lot of rushed hellos and goodbyes, all the while cramming in bites of fresh apples, oranges, plums and bananas. The first attempt at taking off was a little sketchy as we roared all the way down the skiway before the pilot slammed on the brakes, then turned around and tried it again. We were a little nervous but eventually we did feel the plane lift off and there were big smiles all around.

Three hours later, we stepped out onto the frozen sea ice of McMurdo's Ice Runway, hopped into the shuttle van (my first car ride since January) and were deposited at the front door of building 155. Last night was a nice celebration in Gallagher's, one of the bars here, with relief that we actually made it out and were on our way finally to places beyond Pole.

If all goes well, we'll get on the C-17 that will take us back to Christchurch and the outside world again. To my friends back at Pole, I hope you guys make it out soon - let's meet up for some brews at Dux!

4 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on making it out! Enjoy your time in Christchurch and I would love to meet up with you in Sydney next week. My email addy is willsart@myaccess.com.au or MightyAph@hotmail.com Drop me an email and I'll give you my number. I'm sure you'll get plenty of showering practice in Christchurch.

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS You couldn't possibly smell any worse than my dog LOL!

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you guys finally got out! I am at the living space until friday so give a shout when you get in.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Tara - I'll send you an email soon.

Craig - We'd love to meet up with you tonight, if you see this in time. I sent you an email and if you can contact us at the Y, let's get some dinner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home