Sunday, February 25, 2007

My 15 minutes of shower

It’s better than 15 minutes of fame.

Even though we’re surrounded by frozen water, it’s very expensive to make liquid water that we can use. We have to burn jet fuel, which costs about $16 a gallon just to fly it here, to melt the ice and therefore, we are strict about conserving the very expensive resulting water.

We’re limited to taking only a 2 minute shower twice a week. As awful as that sounds, it’s very doable and you just end up spending most of the time in the shower with the water off.

Summer Camp is about a 5 minute walk from the station and it’s where many of the summer folks live in cozy Korean war era Jamesways.

Summer camp Jamesways

They have head modules where there are bathrooms and washers and dryers too. The water out there comes from a snow melter that is fed snow regularly then the water is stored in huge tanks. As part of the winterizing process for Summer Camp, the water tanks are emptied before the power is shut off but this year, we just happen to still have 2500 gallons of water ready to go in the tanks.

Summer Camp water tanks still with about 800 gallons of water each.

Thus the 15 minute shower. Word got spread around over the weekend to head out to Summer Camp and take a shower for as long as you want because we have to get rid of the water soon.

Brien in the window of the Men's room.

Those of us willing to make the trek out there were treated to unlimited showers - I washed my hair (twice), conditioned, shaved, exfoliated and pumiced my heels until my fingers turned pruney. It was only about 15 minutes but it seemed like a heavenly hour.

I feel like a new woman! I just may have to take another shower tomorrow!

4 Comments:

At 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are those water tanks in a building, an arch, or somewhere else?

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

The water tanks are in the middle of the building that has the head modules. There are mens and womens bathrooms on each end, one end is called Chades, the other called the Ice Palace, supposedly because one was always hot and the other cold. They both seem fine to me, especially after a hot 15 minute shower. Oh, I forgot to take another shower today...just not used to that luxury.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Neal said...

I'm working it from the other direction. I'm trying to see how long I can go without a shower....

 
At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'll shut up about our water restictions here in Oz! At least I can still shave my underarms with the water running.

Is Brien showering fully clothed?

My eleven year-old nephew is doing a project on Antarctica for school and and asked me for your blogsite details. Any help you or the others could give him would be much appreciated.

Happy lathering!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home