Sunday, November 18, 2007

Home

OK, I'm not exactly 100% homeless...I'm fortunate to be able to call the desert of southern Arizona home where Mom and Dad still live in Tucson.
I was born and raised here and called it home myself until age 30. Now I use it as a homebase where I keep my stuff and repack my backpack in between gigs on the ice or in Alaska or elsewhere. It's always good to see family again and to get my fill of the best Mexican food in the world. OK, maybe in Mexico they have the best Mexican food in the world but here in Tucson just north of the border, we have amazing Sonoran style Mexican food that I always dearly crave whenever I'm gone. My first dinner after arriving here was at our favorite little restaurant El Minuto in the historic barrio district of downtown Tucson. Carne seca tacos...mmmm.

Today was a perfect day for a hike with my friend Lynn. Sabino Canyon is just north of Tucson and a very popular spot for its gorgeous scenery and nice easy trails but it's recovering from massive rains last year that caused landslides to erode away parts of the mountain sides and covered the trails with giant boulders and debris. Trail restoration is still underway and the one that we did, a 3 hour loop trail was only recently reopened for hiking.
You can see the city of Tucson in the distance

Just like tamales and carne seca, I have to also get my fill of desert and cactus whenever I come back home to Tucson. And at this time of year, you can always count on delightful weather, even before global warming started up. Temps are in the low 80s today and despite slathering on SPF 55 sunscreen, my arms and legs are a couple of shades darker.

South Pole seems like a world away right now...

6 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Meandering path, wandering mind said...

Hooray! I'm glad you were able to get home. The mexican food sounds scrumptious (!) and the scenery is marvelous. Enjoy soaking it all up before you head back out to regions hither and yon!

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPF 55? I didn't know that they made sunscreen that strong! We certainly can't get it here in Oz and yet we have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world.

Glad you made it home safely. The scenery is indeed gorgeous. How long are you planning to stay in Tuscon before heading to San Francisco? I would like to send you a Christmas card but am not sure the best place to send it to. Should I send it to your home address?

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and great word
pictures as always. Glad to see
you made it home. When did the last
of the winter overs leave the ice?
Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Meandering path, wandering mind said...

Heidi -
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know at one time you were scheduled to spend Thanksgiving with Michael's family in San Fran -- were you able to make it? Either way, I hope you enjoy Thanksgiving and enjoy your preparation for your trip to Thailand! Take care
-k

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Thnkasgiving! I guess we should have known but maybe forgot that your home base was in AZ. I currently live in Phoenix so we are very close. I don't know how long you will be in AZ, but if you are for a little while, please shoot us an email @ beanjs@hotmail.com as we would love to see you!

Happy Turkey Day!
Sam and Jen Shea

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger wweronko said...

Heidi, welcome back to the warm world. Happy Thanksgiving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home