Thursday, November 02, 2006

Back to civilization

Ahhhh Christchurch! It's a good thing that we end up spending so much time here because it's such a delightful city. Life is a no brainer here - they speak English (kinda), everything is within walking distance, it's a gorgeous place with gardens, arts centres, old architecture mixed with new. By now, I have many favorite haunts - Sala Sala for sushi, Ann's for Thai, Dux for beers on tap.

And at this time of year, you just keep running into familiar faces walking around town. Sometimes it's hard to recognize them because they've shaved or cut their hair or both. About half an hour ago, we were walking from the ATM right next to Dux when I heard someone shouting my name. I looked over and saw this guy waving his arms but I had no clue who he was and was about to decide that he was some weirdo that I should really just ignore when he said "It's Stefan!"



Oh my God. This guy was one of the Kiwi carpenters who let his hair grow bushy and wild the whole winter and sprouted a crop of wheat on his face. Now, he's got this GQ haircut and a smooth chin and actually looks civilized again. Brien took a photo of him because it was just so shocking. If you know Stefan, you'll understand why I didn't recognize him.

I've had 2 showers today. And I let the water run the whole time. Yeah, life is good!

2 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Erik said...

It's Frodo!

Hope you guys are still around Tuesday when I get in.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Thai food is even nicer in Sydney and I know all the great restaurants! See you guys at the weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home